Dick Durbin fallout grows as judge condemns Broadview Six grand jury conduct

Dick Durbin faces fallout as a judge blasts Broadview Six grand jury conduct and prosecutors drop the remaining charges Thursday.

By
Michael Bennett
Editor
Senior analyst covering national news, legislative developments, and media trends. Former Washington bureau correspondent with over 14 years experience.
25 Views
2 Min Read
0 Comments
Dick Durbin fallout grows as judge condemns Broadview Six grand jury conduct

Chicago's top federal prosecutor permanently dismissed the remaining charges against the Broadview Six on Thursday after a judge said she was stunned by what she read in grand jury transcripts from the case. U.S. District Judge said she had never seen the kinds of prosecutorial behavior before a grand jury that appeared in those records.

The case began with protests outside the Broadview ICE facility in September 2025 during Operation Midway Blitz and had been nearing trial. Perry said the troubling conduct had been redacted from the transcripts the federal government gave her, and defense lawyers said the allegations sounded unheard of, warped and gross. They said they would pursue sanctions based on prosecutorial misconduct.

said he learned about what happened three weeks before the hearing and did not believe any member of his staff had intentionally misled the judge. But Perry was not satisfied with the explanation. She told him, in effect, that he was significantly undercutting his mea culpa by standing behind the charges and continuing to vilify the defendants. Perry also said that trust had been broken.

The defendants are the four remaining members of the Broadview Six, after six protesters were originally swept into the case. Perry said there might be talk of sanctions for prosecutors down the road, a warning that leaves the dismissal far from the end of the dispute. Defense attorney said he had never even heard of something as bad as what took place in the grand jury session, while said it was absolutely sickening to listen to Perry describe it.

The fallout reaches beyond the courtroom. left the in February 2026 to serve as counsel to the , and on May 22, 2026, Dick Durbin terminated her detail after the allegations became public. Mecklenberg said she was not trying to deflect blame, but that she had been with a 20-years-plus senior veteran, underscoring how the controversy has spread through both the and the Senate side of the Capitol.

With the charges gone, the immediate criminal fight is over. The sharper question now is whether the grand jury conduct Perry condemned so forcefully will bring sanctions against the prosecutors who handled the case.

Share
Editor

Senior analyst covering national news, legislative developments, and media trends. Former Washington bureau correspondent with over 14 years experience.