Benson Henderson, the former lightweight champion who retired from MMA in 2023, is scheduled to fight Patrick Habirora in the main event at PFL Brussels on Saturday, marking his first sanctioned MMA bout after a three-year absence from the sport.
Henderson, 42, has not fought in MMA for three years but has stayed active in combat sports, competing in boxing with Misfits, in Karate Combat and in a freestyle wrestling match in RAF, and coaching at The MMA Lab in Arizona. The bout is the clearest public sign yet that he intends to step back into high-level MMA competition.
Numbers underline the significance: retired in 2023, three years away from MMA, and now back on a Saturday card headlining overseas. Henderson said it was PFL’s outreach — and one persistent message from Mike Kogan — that pushed him toward the return. "My man Mike Kogan, the head matchmaker for Bellator now the head matchmaker for PFL, great guy, I love him, he’s always done me right," Henderson said. "but he texted me, he needled me a couple of times like ‘oh man, Henderson guys online are talking smack, saying this, saying that’ and I’m like people can say whatever, it’s cool, no big deal."
Henderson recounted the push that followed. "But he kept needling me a couple more times and then he texted me two days later and said ‘hey, I’ve got a matchup for you, Patrick Habirora, why don’t you remind the world who you are, what you did and what you can do. You know what? Sounds good, Kogan,'" Henderson said. "Let’s remind the world who I am and what I’ve done and how I do it. That sounds good to me."
When pfl contacted him, Henderson said he took a pragmatic approach. He did not disappear from training when he stepped away from MMA: "Since the day I retired, I was back in the gym the next week, on the mats training again," he said. "We’re always right back. We fight on Saturdays and back in the gym on Monday working to get better, win or lose, it doesn’t matter." He added that after his loss to Usman Nurmagomedov he returned to the gym immediately. "So I lost my fight against Usman [Nurmagomedov], I was back in the gym on Monday, working on getting better. I never stopped. I never stopped training."
Context matters: Henderson’s retirement had been linked in part to family priorities. He said his wife needed time to focus on her own fighting career after years supporting his UFC and Bellator run, and that influenced his decision to step away. Even so, Henderson remained visible in fight circles and in coaching, which made a comeback conceivable even before PFL’s offer.
The tension in this comeback is simple and sharp. Henderson has competed in other combat formats since leaving MMA, but he has not tested himself inside an MMA cage in three years — the very gap that online critics seized on and that Kogan used to needle him back toward competition. Henderson says he never really stopped training, but the question for fans and matchmakers is whether that work translates into the timing, cardio and fight-speed required at this level.
The bout answers one clear, consequential question: can Benson Henderson still do what he did at the top of his sport? A convincing win in Brussels would erase much of the online chatter and validate PFL’s decision to headline him. A loss, by contrast, would almost certainly close the book on a return to elite MMA for good. Henderson has framed the fight as a reminder of who he is; he has the coach’s routine and the ring time in other sports. In Brussels, two outcomes will define what comes next.



