Fans across the country have gone "tarps off," stripping to their shorts and waving T-shirts above their heads, and the Red Sox open their first homestand Friday as Fenway Park says it will not impose a blanket ban.
The trend began last Friday in St. Louis when a club baseball team affiliated with Stephen F. Austin State University attended a Cardinals game at Busch Stadium; 17 players were in the stands and dozens of others joined them, and a couple hundred fans made a ruckus in right field during the Cardinals' 5-4 victory in 11 innings over the Kansas City Royals.
In the days that followed, shirtless fans showed up in half-a-dozen ballparks in as many days — appearing at games in Detroit and Seattle, a small group celebrating in Philadelphia while the Reds and Phillies played in the rain, and in Tampa Bay where the revelry seemed to spur a late comeback against the Orioles on Tuesday.
There were two headline moments in Tampa Bay: shirtless Angels fans chanted for owner Arte Moreno to sell the team, and later that evening saw a walk-off home run in the ninth inning. Back in St. Louis, Cardinals manager Oliver Marmol bought tickets for the shirtless revelers for Saturday's game, an eyebrow-raising show of support from a major-league dugout.
Fenway Park operations chief Pete Nesbit said the ballpark has no specific policy against removing a shirt at Fenway Park, but that stadium staff will enforce the venue's code of conduct to keep the experience safe and enjoyable for all. Nesbit added that the ballpark's fans create a powerful home-field advantage "with or without shirts," and that Fenway is looking forward to that energy on Friday night.
Why this matters now: the Red Sox will play the Minnesota Twins at 7:10 p.m. on Friday, opening the club's first homestand after the shirtless movement burst onto the national scene. Temperatures in Boston are expected to cool to around 60 degrees by first pitch and dip into the mid-50s under partly clear skies — a detail that could limit participation but not the headlines.
Context matters: this kind of shirtless fandom is not entirely new. Some sports fans have long gone shirtless at games, Red Sox followers were noted for similar partying during a Marathon Monday rain delay in 2023, and Fenway made news earlier this year when two fans behind home plate wore paper bags over their heads in protest of team performance. The current wave, however, traveled fast; organizers and impromptu groups moved from Busch Stadium to other cities in a matter of days.
The tension here is practical. Fenway's lack of an explicit prohibition leaves enforcement to venue staff and the code of conduct, but cooler evening temperatures and public-safety concerns create friction between the desire to join a viral moment and basic comfort and safety. The manager of a major-league club buying tickets for shirtless revelers in St. Louis raises another question: when team personnel endorse or encourage the spectacle, does that change how parks respond?
The answer, for now, is simple and immediate: Fenway will not ban the tarps off movement before Friday's opener, and the club is banking on fans following the code of conduct. Whether Boston joins the wave in large numbers will likely come down to weather and self-restraint — but Fenway's leadership has signaled it will let the crowd's energy, shirted or not, be part of the show.



