Pam Bondi faces GOP scrutiny over Trump-linked $1.7 billion fund

Pam Bondi is not named in the fund, but Senate Republicans are pressing for answers as Trump backs the $1.7 billion anti-weaponization program.

By
James Carter
Editor
News writer with 11 years covering breaking stories, politics, and community affairs across the United States. Associated Press contributor.
37 Views
3 Min Read
0 Comments
Pam Bondi faces GOP scrutiny over Trump-linked $1.7 billion fund

The on Monday announced a $1.7 billion Anti-Weaponization Fund, a settlement-linked pool meant to compensate people who say they were harmed by government weaponization and lawfare. By Thursday, were pressing Acting Attorney General for details in a closed-door meeting, after several raised concerns that some people convicted of assaulting law enforcement and later pardoned by Trump could qualify for money.

The money is not going out automatically. A board appointed by the attorney general will decide payments, and the department said the fund is meant to create a systematic process to hear and redress claims from people who say they were abused. That structure has already drawn attention because the list of possible applicants includes , and Enrique Tarrio, each of whom has said he may seek a payout from the $1.7 billion pot.

The controversy has grown because Trump has tried to keep some distance from the program while also embracing it. On Monday, he said he knew very little about the fund and was not involved in its creation or negotiation. He repeated Wednesday that he was not involved in the settlement. Then on Friday, he said on Truth Social that he had allowed the Anti-Weaponization Fund to go forward.

Trump also argued that the settlement came at a personal cost. He said he could have settled his IRS lawsuit for an absolute fortune and declared, “I gave up a lot of money in allowing the just announced Anti-Weaponization Fund to go forward.” He added that he was helping others who were “so badly abused by an evil, corrupt, and weaponized Biden Administration” receive, “at long last, justice.”

The settlement grew out of Trump v. IRS, filed in January 2025 by Trump, Eric Trump, Don Jr. and the Trump Organization over the leak of their tax returns. The agreement says the family and the company will receive a formal apology from the United States but no monetary payment or damages. A official said there was no contradiction in Trump’s comments, arguing that he was not involved in creating the fund but could have chosen to settle his case differently and prevent it. The official said the fund is about accountability for anyone who was a victim of weaponization, regardless of political affiliation.

That explanation has not quieted the backlash. Senate Republicans want to know how the fund will work and who will decide where the money goes, while critics are already focusing on the possibility that pardoned rioters or other Trump allies could collect from a program justified as redress for abuse by government power. The timing also matters because the IRS agreed Tuesday to drop all pending probes of Trump over whether he paid his fair share of taxes, including a long-running audit that could have produced an estimated $100 million bill if wrongdoing had been found. The fund may be described as a settlement benefit, but the fight over who gets paid — and why — is just getting started.

Share
Editor

News writer with 11 years covering breaking stories, politics, and community affairs across the United States. Associated Press contributor.